If you are looking for a quick meal that can be put together within about 25 minutes to feed the whole family on a busy night, KEEP READING!Jump to Recipe
This recipe keeps things simple
- One great thing about this recipe is that you make our own spice mix using chili powder, salt and pepper. This helps simplify cabinets from excessive pre-made spices like taco seasoning and fajita seasoning which can overdue sodium.
- Easily double the recipe to meal prep for the week, or make dinner for a crowd.
- Limit clean up by pulling this meal together with a simple sheet pan!
- This base recipe can be served up in a variety of ways and is a healthy option no matter what your dietary restrictions are.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
What makes this a healthy recipe?Jump to Recipe
First let’s talk about the cooking method. Roasting anything on a sheet pan means you’re using less oil and letting the oven do it’s job to impart texture and flavor by dehydrating foods on the pan making it a healthier option.
Next, it uses lean chicken breast which is an excellent source of protein.
Half of this recipe is made from vegetables. Onion strips and red peppers, basic ingredients that are a source of valuable nutrients for immunity and gut health including vitamin c and fiber.
This recipe can easily be modified to accommodate a gluten free diet and it’s a natural way to eat more plant. So if your’e trying to live a plant forward lifestyle, then be sure to bookmark this page for your weekly menu! It’s also a good recipe to have on rotation if you’re trying to achieve a healthy weight or maintain a healthy weight.
Ingredients you need to make sheet pan chicken fajitas
- olive oil or any neutral oil such as avocado oil
- chili powder – you could add garlic powder or use a fajita seasoning mix if you have it on hand
- boneless skinless chicken breasts – you could use boneless skinless chicken thighs, shrimp, steak or tofu but cooking times will vary.
- lime/ lime juice
- green bell peppers & red bell peppers – you can use any kind of fresh vegetables you’d like yellow peppers work well here too!
- yellow onion – you could use red onion but it will be sharper, green onions will add color and can be left whole.
- corn tortillas or flour tortilla – corn tortillas are naturally gluten free.
- kosher salt and pepper
Optional ingredients and fajita toppings
- Monterey jack cheese
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Pico de gallo
- Avocado slices
Equipment you need to make healthy chicken fajitas
We’re keeping the equipment list simple by employing our trusty baking sheet. Other recipes may call for using a cast iron skillet, grill pan or instant pot, but I really think this is the simplest and cleanest way to make this great recipe.
Turn easy chicken fajitas into a complete meal
- Enjoy your chicken strips and fajita veggies in warm tortillas with your favorite toppings
- If you’re trying to follow a low carb diet plan, try wrapping this chicken fajita recipe in lettuce wraps made from iceberg lettuce
- Another low carb option is to enjoy this recipe as a fajita bowl. Forget the wraps and rice, substitute riced palm noodles or cauliflower rice instead.
- To amp up nutrition and fiber try serving with whole wheat tortilla or brown rice instead of white rice.
- Serve with warm black beans for added protein and fiber
What are the macros?
If you divide this recipe into 4 servings, it will provide you with:
Note: Optional ingredients and tortillas of choice are not included in macros. It’s easy enough to log them separately as you customize your toppings and wraps! Learn more about macros here!
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 3 bell peppers sliced into strips
- yellow onion sliced into strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast 1/4 inch strips
- 1 lime
- 8 corn tortillas
- sour cream
- Combine chili with 2 teaspoons salt and pepper to taste.
- Season peppers and onion with half of the seasoning mix and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Spread veggies on sheet pan and broil for 5 minutes until brown.
- Season chicken with remaining seasoning mix.
- Then layer sliced chicken on top of cooked vegetables. Return to oven for 10-12 minutes under broiler until chicken reaches 165F internal temperature.
- Eat with tortillas or over rice and toppings of choice.