Weeknight Egg Roll In A Bowl
This is a classic egg roll filling that can be thrown together with a few ingredients from the grocery store, especially when you have pantry basics on hand! It’s perfect for low carb eating and can easily be made into a balanced meal by adding brown rice. I love this easy recipe for quick weeknight meals when I don’t feel like cooking because it has all the flavor of egg rolls, and helps me meet my macro minimums. It’s a new favorite!Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
Equipment you need
- Large skillet
- Wooden spoon
- To-go containers if you’re meal prepping
Ingredients you need
- olive oil – or another neutral oil like canola or vegetable
- ground pork – you can also use ground turkey, ground beef or ground chicken. 80% lean ground pork or beef are my pick for low carb days where you need higher fat to meet calorie needs.
- onion – if you have a fresh onion, use it. Frozen diced onion works well here too. I wouldn’t recommend using onion powder because the onion provides a nice texture.
- bag of coleslaw mix – or shredded cabbage and carrot mix or even a broccoli slaw mix, no extra work because everything is perfectly shredded into small pieces.
- salt and pepper
- garlic – fresh garlic is great but I love the Dorot frozen cubes. It’s such a great shortcut product, 1 cube is 1 tsp and all the work is done for you!
- ginger – fresh ginger is amazing but again, the Dorot frozen cubes are my go to. No work required and they last a while in the fridge. I can only find them at Trader Joes.
- low-sodium soy sauce – I prefer low sodium but tamari or coconut aminos are good options
- rice wine vinegar
- sesame oil – or toasted sesame oil, whichever you have on hand. A little goes a long way to add flavor, so it’s worth having in your pantry!
- green onions
- sesame seeds
- sriracha sauce
- red pepper flakes
- egg roll wrapper
If you’re a first time cook, you have to try this recipe! It’s a great addition to your meal plan and can be enjoyed a bunch of different ways do you don’t get bored with it! Check out these serving suggestions for a healthier alternative
- Cauliflower rice
- Bean sprouts
- Water chestnuts
- String beans
- Brown Rice – add extra carbs and fiber
- White Rice – more traditional addition
- Wonton wrappers – put this delicious filling in wrappers, spray with oil and air fry until crispy for a healthier spin on egg rolls
- Wonton strips – top with wonton chips for a crunch
- Spicy mayo – for drizzling
- Yum yum sauce – for drizzling
- Hoisin sauce – for drizzling
Meal Prep Tips
- Be sure to use a large enough skillet, especially if you’re going to double the recipe!
- For best results use medium heat to be sure nothing burns
- Divide filling equally among 4 containers
- Leftover egg roll filling should be stored in an airtight container
Macros Per Serving
Be sure to check back for other low carb recipes.
Egg Roll In A Bowl
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 each scallion chopped
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Add ground pork and cook until no longer pink.
- Add garlic, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Add soy sauce and mix well.
- Add coleslaw mix and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add sesame oil and vinegar. Mix well.
- Serve with chopped green onion if desired.